I have my last in-class final one week from Monday.Â Basically, I need to learn 40% of the material and re-learn the remaining 60%, so I should be studying right now.Â Instead, I am looking for everything that I can possibly do to avoid studying (i.e. clean the office, go to the post office, floss my teeth, floss the dog’s teeth, etc.), of course.
The trip to the post office, however, is the reason that I write.Â I picked up an order that AmazonÂ made me sign for (not sure why I had to sign for these two books: Secured Transactions and The Rise of the Creative Class).Â On the way to the PO, I was pondering the
rise imminent global domination of China in light of President Hu’s American vacation.Â I haven’t formalized a position on this issue, but I will admit that I am spooked by America being dethroned as the economic superpower.Â I was concerned that by some estimates America may no longer be number 1 by 2045.Â At the same time, the gleaming optimist in me thought of a number of counterpoints about China.
#1 China is a communist nation:Â I believe in the free market and its potential to promote the innovators in society.Â Communism is blind beuracracy that is incapable of innovation and efficiency, so despite the law of large numbers, China cannot reach maximum efficiency despite its best efforts.
#2 China is a nation in change:Â China is a nation involved in major revival.Â People are finding Christ and authentically sharing the gospel (unlike the American understanding of this…)
#3 America is a nation of innovators:Â Though we may currently lack the discipline of our Chinese counterparts, Americans innovate ideas and are given the freedom to express this innovation any way we choose.
So, I get to the PO I pick up my package and I am driving home reading Richard Florida’s The Rise of the Creative Class (and trying to keep the car on the road, in the rain (but no worse than driving and talking on the cell phone, right?)).Â In the first few paragraphs, he describes this group of professionals that are ‘creative’ in their professions.Â These innovators he says grew out of the industrial revolution and have been a staple in our society since.
Anyway, of course I haven’t read enough to speak with any authority about Florida’s text, but as Ryan has been doing, I thought that I would preview this book.Â Generally the book is very fresh looking.Â The design is crisp with a good choice of bright colors.Â Despite its 415 pages describing this ‘growing’ segment of the population, it is inviting and looks exciting to read.Â I am very excited about reading it for a number of reasons, but chief among them is because the Cornerstone Foundation has forecasted that Knoxville’s target economic growth will come from this segment of Professionals.Â I will post again when I
finish reading haven’t picked the book up in 14 days.
As for China, I want to continue to think about the impact of the Chinese superpower, but at the present, I think there is a lot of potential for economic growth through Global partnership.